Jonathan concentrates his practice in the representation of design professionals throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, Washington, DC, and Maryland in complex disputes arising on construction projects. His experience includes representation of architects, engineers, surveyors, inspectors, owners, and contractors in local and federal courts and in arbitrations.
Jonathan’s trial and arbitration experience includes the following matters:
• Voluntary dismissal of $1+ million claims against architect mid-way through four day bench trial, with no payment made by architect;
• Temporary injunction for a non-compete agreement entered in favor of engineer following a six hour evidentiary hearing;
• Favorable award in defense of $16 million malpractice claim against architect following a two-week arbitration;
• $2+ million jury verdict entered in favor of client on deferred payment agreements arising out of residential construction development project;
• Arbitration award in favor of client for $600,000+ in change order claims on a cost-plus contract;
• $275,000+ judgment entered in favor of client for breach of promissory notes following bench trial.
Jonathan also represents clients before various administrative bodies, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, the State Building Code Technical Review Board for Virginia, and the Fauquier County Board of Zoning Appeals.
While the majority of his practice involves guiding clients when disputes arise, Jonathan frequently applies “lessons learned” in the courtroom when counseling clients during the negotiation of contracts and review of RFPs (in addition to other transactional services) in order to manage the risks assumed by his clients by contract.
Drawing from his experience, Jonathan regularly presents at seminars for industry leaders like AIA, ACEC, ASCE, ASHRAE, and IEEE-IAS.